Sunday, May 27, 2012

Phobias: Everybody has one, but few admit them.

     I was standing by my bed, petrified, due to my clinophobia* when suddenly, out of the corner of my eye, I thought I saw something move! Or was it just my  katsaridaphobia* acting up? I mean, I’m  isolophobic*, but I’m destined to be alone especially after that disastrous dinner date last week, I’m sure! (Courtesy of http://hotforwords.com/2009/08/30/nerd-word-of-the-day-anatidaephobia/)

     This above passage translates to, I was standing by my bed, petrified, due to my fear of going to bed. When suddenly, out of the corner of my eye, I thought I saw something move! Or was it just my fear of cockroaches acting up? I mean, I'm afraid of being alone, but I'm destined to be alone especially after that disastrous dinner date last week I'm sure!
      Everybody has a phobia. Mine does not have a name, but for the purpose of this post, I am going to use a broader phobia, which is Lepidopterophobia, or the fear of the order of insect that butterflies As and moths are apart of.  I know many people with phobias. One individual I know has a fear of olives, not like they don't like the taste. They literally fear olives. Phobias are usually made fun of. One of my friends keeps telling me that they will drag me to the saint Louis butterfly house so I can "face my fears," but really, she just wants a good laugh.
     The word Phobia is derived from the minor Greek god, Phobos. This may sound familiar to you because A: You already knew this, or B: Phobos is one of the two moons of Mars. 
The 10 most common phobias are, Arachnophobia, the fear of spiders and other arachnids, Ophidiophobia, the fear of snakes, Acrophobia fear of heights, Agoraphobia, fear of situations in which escape is very difficult, Cynophobia, fear of dogs, Astraphobia, fear of thunder and lightning, Trypanophobia, the fear of injections, Pteromerhanophobia, the fear of flying, and mysophobia, the fear of dirt and germs.
     Some phobias we are born with, others are accumulated. I believe my Lepidopterophobia was created when my family and I took a caterpillar off of a leaf, put it in a dry aquarium, and watched it turn into a cocoon, and eventually a butterfly. I was very young at the time, maybe 2 or 3. My family watched as the caterpillar came out of the cocoon, and voila! a butterfly. I loved the experience, because the butterfly was so pretty. I thought it was not going to move, so when it did, I was VERY scared to say the least. I guess it scarred me forever. I am sure another phobia is something you are just born with, because I cannot imagine how you could be scarred into fearing this. Anatidaephobia is the fear that wherever you go, no matter what, somewhere in the world, a duck is watching you. I sure feel bad for the people who have this, but I do not believe anyone, including those who have it think it is a normal phobia. I think that a fear of butterflies is abnormal, so anyone with this phobia must think it is also absurd.
     I invite you to share your phobias in the comments. In fact, please share weird phobias that you don't have, and please tell me what they are fears of. No phobia is too common or too crazy, so go ahead, share your greatest fear with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment